Marriage Part 2
Topic: Marriage Passage: Genesis 2:7, Genesis 2:18–2:25
1. Work through these five questions from a cultural perspective:
What is the definition of marriage?
Who should be married?
What is the purpose of marriage?
Where do we turn when things are not going well?
How do we accurately assess the course and direction of the marriage?
2. Describe from the sermon how some of these questions are immediately answered in the first two chapters of Genesis.
3. According to Genesis 2:24 what are the three primary purposes of marriage? Describe each purpose (hint: Leave, hold fast, oneness).
4. In the message pastor Chris described two relationships that mimic marriage, but are not marriage (co-habitation and gay marriage). Discuss in your group, based on Genesis 2, how these two culturally common unions are inconsistent with God’s word.
5. Divorce and remarriage are very common in our culture and in our church. First, discuss what intentional steps that can be taken to divorce proof your marriage. Second, discuss some of the unique situations and dynamics that remarried couples face. Discuss some of those challenges, and how they can be approached biblically.