From Selfies to Selfless
Topic: Service Passage: Matthew 25:31–25:40
1. In our culture the focus seems to be on ourselves. From the new “selfie” function on the iPhone 6s, to shows and magazines showing the top places in the world to pamper ourselves, we are literally bombarded ever day with messages of self-importance. Describe some of the consequences that come from our distorted concept of self-importance.
2. Pastor Chris described a hypothetical setting on a phone that would allow you to see the needs of those around you. While that setting does not exist, the real needs of people do. Describe ways of focusing less on self and more on the needs of others.
3. Apart from tangibly meeting people’s needs and sharing the gospel with them, describe how you can love people.
4. In the passage Jesus stated “…as you did it for the least of these…you did it for me.” Describe some of the tangible ways these saints met the needs of those they encountered. How does serving those in need show love to Jesus?
5. Describe how at times our theology can get in the way of meeting people’s needs.