Topic: Leadership Passage: Exodus 18:24, Proverbs 1:5, Proverbs 8:33, Proverbs 9:9, Proverbs 12:15
1. Last week in the message pastor Chris used the illustration of snorkeling and scuba diving as it relates to Christ centered and authentic relationships. Discuss the illustration. How many of your relationships are best described as “snorkeling” and who do you feel comfortable going “scuba diving” with? (ie. Who do you go deep with? What keeps you from going deep?)
2. This week we discussed the importance of mentoring relationships as modeled by Moses and Jethro. Provide some observations from their interaction together. Can you think of any characteristics to look for in a mentoring relationship based upon their interaction together? (ie. mutual respect, rejoicing together in what God has done, younger man gleaning from an older man etc.)
3. What might keep us from the benefits of a mentoring relationships? What stands in the way? How can you intentionally pursue relationships that are consistent with mentoring? What type of stance or attitude does a mentoring relationship require?
4. Mentoring relationships are not only about who you are being mentored by, but also who are you mentoring. Describe how you can open your life up so that another person can glean from you. How does Titus 2:1-10 inform our discussion?
5. Pastor Chris shared the story of Don Geiger. Who might be a Don Geiger in your life?