Rest in Him
Topic: Rest Passage: Matthew 8:18–8:27
1. Jesus commanded that His disciples get into the boat to cross to the other side of the lake. At the same time, there were two others who showed interest in getting into the boat (a euphemism used to describe their desire to follow Jesus). How did Jesus respond to their interest in discipleship?
2. In view of how Jesus responded to the two men, and in view that following Jesus is risky and requires total commitment, would you have gotten into the boat? What keeps you, or what has kept you, from following Christ in discipleship?
3. Describe some of the storms of your life (maybe you are in one now). How did you respond to the storm? What does it practically look like in your life when you trust Jesus even while in the storm? What does it look like when you don’t trust Jesus in the storm?
4. Why do you believe Jesus was able to sleep/rest while in the midst of such a storm? What kept the disciples from resting?
5. How can you apply the example modeled by Christ? (ie. How can you find rest in the storm?) How does it impact your view of circumstances to know that Jesus is with you and He will never forsake you?
*Remember circumstances will lie to us – when in the midst of the storm keep your eyes on Christ.